We are always going to the local food truck for some mofongo, and lately it has been a lot on our bellys and wallet; so we decided to dine in. This was my first time making mofongo and I was a little nervous. It takes for ever to hand mince 6 garlic gloves so I’d suggest getting some premade or if u have a blender or bullet, it’s great for time. My boyfriends only problem with the food truck is it is always dry. The cup of liquid in the mofongo was the perfect touch. Being that I used sweet plantains instead of green the texture was different. At first it threw me off, but after a few critics telling me how good it was i reconsidered. I guess we really are our worst critic. Go try some mofongo because it’s amazing !
🔹 2 sweet plantains
🔹 2 cup of olive oil
🔹 6 fresh garlic cloves minced
🔹 2 TBS of olive oil
🔹 4 cups stock/liquid
🔹 S&P TT
🔹 Two oz of white rice
🔹1 can organic lentil beans
🔹 teriyaki pineapple sausage
🔹 1/2 onion diced
- Mince 6 cloves of garlic , dice the onion and sausage , peel and slice plantains about 1 inch.
- Place the garlic in a large bowl and pour in 2 TBS of oil
- Bring to a boil , 4 cups of water and seasoning and cook the rice for 10 mins.
- While the water is heating up, Heat 2 cups of olive oil in a pan.
- Place half of the plantains in the pan at a time and cook for 7 minutes on high, they should be about golden brown. Once finished place on a paper towel to soak access oil.
- Drain rice and keep 1 cup of liquid
- Pour the can of beans in the pot the rice was in and cook for 3-5 minutes on medium.
- Place the sausage and onions in the pan and Sauté until the onions are transparent.
- Put the cooked plantains in the bowl with the garlic and mash together
- Drain the beans and place rice back in the pot an mix together. Add seasoning
- Add 1 cup of liquid to the plantains for moister.
- Plate the rice and shape the mofongo in a ball around the sausage and onions.
- You can add Hot sauce, celontro, etc.